Kingston Standard Church finds its roots in Methodist theology and its founder John Wesley.
John Wesley travelled and preached through England in the mid 1700’s and, due to vigorous missionary activity, the Methodist movement spread throughout the world.
In the mid 1800’s, a group broke off from the established Methodists over the issue of slavery. This group of abolitionist believers became known as the Wesleyan Methodist Connection.
Our church traces its family tree through these relevant moments in history.
Things took hold in 1918 when Reverend J.G. Nussey held tent revival meetings in McBurney Park. These services gave birth to the Kingston Standard Society and, on October 14, 1918, Kingston Standard Church began. In 1919 the new congregation purchased and met in a house on 66 Main St.
Later, a church building was dedicated on Feb 13, 1927 on Barrie Street.
Due to growth, the late 1960’s brought relocation to the corner of Sydenham and Sunnyside Rd. The new construction was dedicated on June 22, 1975.
In 2003 the Kingston Standard Church,
along with the Standard Church of America, voted to merge with the Central Canada District of The Wesleyan Church.
In 2006, a significant addition to the building was completed to enhance accessibility, space and parking.
Today we stand on the shoulders of those who have come before us—both their successes and their failures have helped us to grow.
We look to the days ahead with great excitement and expectancy of how God will continue to use us to influence the people around us to be all God has called them to be.